Rev R J
Father "Bob", as he was familiarly known, was one of the building blocks of St Augustine's Grammar School. He was a popular figure amongst staff members and with the boys. He was there on the opening day back in September 1965 welcoming the first intake of boys.He remained on the teaching staff until the end the 1968/9 academic year. He attended the reunion of the year of 69 in 1999, a gesture appreciated by all of those there.
He was born in Sale in 1924 and educated at Stonyhurst then King's College Cambridge. He studied for the priesthood at the English College at Rome. He served in the diocese of Mbarara, Uganda(1958-63). He was assistant priest at St Bede's, Weaverham and St Paul's, Hyde(1963 - 79). In 1969 he took on his first charge as the first Parish Priest of St Philips, Offerton. He returned to Africa in 1972 serving in Rwanda and Kenya. He was Parish Priest at St George's Whitchurch before his final posting as Parish priest of the church of St Ann, Cheadle Hulme.
His commitment to education continued after he left the teaching staff of St Augustine's as he took his seat on the board of School Governors. He was closely involved with education to his last days as Chaplain and Governor to St. James' Catholic High School, Cheadle Hulme including appointing ex Augustinians to teaching posts there!
His funeral was concelebrated by Bishop Brian Nobel, Canon Whelan, and Fr Pat Munro on the 4th June. Fr Frank Rice gave the panegyric.
He will be remembered as a charismatic christian with an abiding interest in education.